Thursday, July 24, 2008

Falling behind but making strides

OK. This is last week's summer squash and the zucchini from two weeks ago that I'm finally getting to eat today (in training for a week with free lunch), but still I haven't (yet) let much go to waste. The Ratatouille is excellent cold. I prepared it simply:

  • Saute the squash and zucchini at high heat till they soften and squeek but are still toothsome and set aside
  • Add 2 weeks worth of spring onions and one red pepper and saute till the onions are translucent
  • Add one can of tomatoes (we ate the fresh ones we bought for this purpose in BLTs... so sue me) plenty of thyme, salt and a lot of black pepper
  • Add the squash and zucchini back in and heat through to help it all come together

I hated Ratatouille as a child, but if you avoid eggplant and make sure it doesn't get mushy, it's sweet, zesty and delicious.

For this week, I've got some catching up to do, especially since we're going away for the weekend, so I think we're going to make the potatoes into french fries, eat the arugula in salad, and pickle the green beans. I'm debating whether to try to turn the cabbage into Kim Chi or just lay up and make Cole Slaw (hmm. and maybe some pork barbecue to go with).

No comments: